- This event has passed.
Wells Shares: Designing with Architectural Precast Concrete
April 22, 2021 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
PCI Midwest Presents
Credits: Approved by AIA CES for 3.0 LU/HSW Participants MUST ATTEND BOTH SESSIONS to receive the FULL continuing education credits.
Course Description: Many architects, engineers, designers, and contractors have heard of precast concrete but still haven’t experienced it firsthand in projects. An often-overlooked building material, precast is steadily increasing in popularity, offering a wide range of benefits to design and construction professionals in versatility, efficiency, and resiliency in a variety of building applications. Topics such as architectural precast aesthetics, economy, detailing, and sustainability will be covered in this two-part program.
Learning Objectives: After attending this course, attendees will be able to:
- Discuss the variety of framing systems and building types made possible with architectural precast concrete.
- Review the aesthetic options available with architectural precast including concrete mix design concepts, cladding and finishing techniques.
- Evaluate panel design strategies and tolerances in order to properly detail panel connections.
Presenter: Paul Todd, Principal, Todd Architecture. Paul Todd holds a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies and a Master of Architecture degrees from the University of Illinois. He has thirty-six years of experience in residential, governmental, and commercial projects involving both new construction and rehabilitation of historic structures, including:
- over four million square feet of total precast concrete structures
- the first LEED™-certified office building in Colorado
- the first total-precast concrete LEED™-certified structure in the country He is a licensed architect and LEED™-accredited professional